On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 16:19 -0500, Jeremy Kitchen wrote:
> I'm having lots of customers call up saying their clamd is segfaulting..
> installations that have been around for many months (0.80) and all of a
> sudden, later in the week last week.. everyone's been having problems with
> clamd segfaulting.  Updating to clamav 0.84 seems to have done the trick, but
> I don't remember seeing any segfault issues on either the -users or -devel
> lists that had been resolved....
>
> I'm assuming it's some sort of email that is going around right now (either
> spam or virus) that is causing it to happen, however I cannot pinpoint the
> actual email :(
>
> Was there a bug that might be causing this that was fixed since 0.80 was
> released?

Several. We don't release software updates for our own amusement. A
responsible system admin should always look to upgrade to the current
stable version as soon as possible after it is released.

People who say that their policy doesn't allow it are just making
excuses. Write a new policy. Explain to your boss that he is increasing
the risk of infection by having an outdated policy, and then write the
same to his boss. Set up a test system appropriate for your environment
to perform assurance testing.

Apart from missing potential crash fixes, you are also missing detection
of some viruses by not upgrading:

W32.Magistr.A and B
W32.Parite.A B C and D
some JPEG exploits
some email Worms that use non-standard encoding schemes to by-pass
filters

-trog