Matt Fretwell said:
> Dennis Peterson wrote:
>
>> > That was my point.  My mail IS filtered outbound.  So I should have to
>> > pay double for the privilege of controlling my own email?
>
>> How am I to know that you are filtering your mail? If your IP is in the
>> middle of a block of dynamic IP's you are fair game for me to block. The
>> world experience is that Windows drones on dialups or cable/dsl are a
>> major source of spam/viruses. Nothing distinguishes you from them. You
>> get out of that mess by purchasing a fixed IP from an ISP that keeps
>> track of non-dynamic IP's for all of our benefits. Nobody said this was
>> easy or cheap.
>
>  That is coming back to the dynamic elitist viewpoint. Just as a sideline
> question on this, how many corporate machines, on static IP ranges, are
> running outdated, security wise, IIS machines which are guaranteed to spew
> crap as soon as anything hits? [ price != competence ]

We do what we can with what we have, one step at a time.

>  Also, this does not take into account the fact that quite a large amount
> of dynamic ISP accounts are practically static, except in name. I have no
> problem with blocking a /24 range if attempts are seen from that block of
> addresses, (static or otherwise), but I still cannot see the point of
> penalising dynamic IP's just because they are dynamic, without good cause.
> If one was going down the OS fingerprinting route tallied to a dynamic IP
> check, then that might be feasible, but a straight block with no absolute
> reason?

Here's how it works, Matt - if you have a dynamic IP, even one that has a
long life time, other people will still block mail from your IP block.
That seldom happens if you have a true fixed IP, all other things being
equal. And you know what? You have no say in it. It is out of your
control. And if the number of Windows drones continues to grow at the
current rate you can expect to be blocked pretty damn soon as there's just
about nothing else left to do. And I'm ok with that.

dp