Bart Silverstrim said:

> On May 16, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Dennis Peterson wrote:
>
>> Most of the spam I've gotten the last three days is from comcast.net.
>> Apparently they allow their customers to send out to port 25. They
>> should
>> lock that down so that spam goes out through their own servers so they
>> can
>> feel the pain when they are blacklisted for incompetence. If you need
>> run your own stand-alone mail service you should pay the price for the
>> privilege.
>
> To me, that price is learning how to do it right.  Price isn't always
> monetary.
>
> I wouldn't argue with the idea of having to tell your provider that you
> need your particular connection unfiltered and leave it unfiltered
> because you're setting up the server.

What you are paying for is their trust that you are doing your part
correctly. As an ISP my greatest investment aside from my hardware is my
IP. Anything that puts it at risk puts all at risk. Policy describes I do
all I can to protect that investment so I set the rules. I don't have to
trust my  average customers because I manage the resources. If you come to
me and ask me to loosen my rules I will do that but you have to invest in
my trust in you. By requiring you to have a higher liability I encourage
you to avoid activities that put your investment in jeopardy.

Imagine I am an ISP and you are a customer and you spam the world with
your own machine, drawing attention to my IP block. As is the norm, my IP
is blacklisted and I have to go to the blacklist vendors, hat in hand, to
explain that you, not I, did the dirty deed, and that I've pulled your
account. Personally I would probably find you and kick your ass, but
technically, I could have avoided the problem by requiring you to use my
smtp server and my traffic policies. Now imagine you are one of 25,000
customers I have to deal with. Where do you think I'm going to put my
effort?

It can be argued that true spammers are so profitable they can afford to
throw away any reasonable fees I might impose. It is certainly true, but
what I advocate is not directed at them. I'm just trying to help keep the
99.9% honest people out there from screwing up my business because they
use a POS Windows system that even Bill Gates, Inc. can't keep clean.

But let's get back to anti-virus issues - 0.85.1 is out and appears to
have an interesting issue with permissions and there's an easy solution. I
wonder who will find it first.

dp