On Tue, 17 May 2005, Dennis Peterson wrote:

> Christopher X. Candreva said:
> > On Tue, 17 May 2005, Dennis Peterson wrote:
> >> What do you think the PTR for a host with 500 virtual domains might look
> >> like?
> >
> > It doesn't matter -- as long as it points to some name that points back to
> > the same IP.  mail723.theprovidersdomain.com  would work.
>
> Just play along and see where Mr. Wheeler is taking us.

Probably to that rocket-ship from earlier which is likely bound for planet
Utopia!

This is open discussion.  I want to tighten up our mail server and see what
your thoughts are as system administrators.  The collective experience on
this list is more than I could ever hope to have individually.  If you
lookup MX on our network you will see that we haven't implemented this
strategy.  We are in the middle of a infrastructure redesign to handle the
growth we are experiencing and I appreciate discussions like this which
raise a bit of controversy.

When our MTA's are rebuilt for the new network some of the strategies
discussed in this thread will be implemented.  Others will be implemented
in a test-and-alert-me-only setup to see how effective it is.  If it
breaks only <1% of the mta's out there then that is an acceptable casualty
rate and those sysadmins can be contacted.  Messages would be 450'd and we
may notify netadmin for the CIDR block automatically.  If they do have a
rouge spammer on their network, they might wish to know about it anyway.

-Eric

--
Eric Wheeler
Vice President