On Tue, 17 May 2005, Dennis Peterson wrote:

> > What I am saying is that if you can't do some type of verification,
> > whether it is connect-back (remember the old dialup
> > callback-verification-system?) to the sending server or SPF or some other
> > type of authentication mechanism, then you can't trust the sender.  Really
> > even SPF isn't great because DNS can be spoofed.
>
> It is impossible to get verification this way. All you have that you can
> depend on (and only just barely) is the IP of the source. the helo
> greeting and mail from: can be and frequently are faked or from virtual
> hosts. Even if the info is true there is still no way for you to guarantee
> it. Spammers buy throw-away domain names by the thousands, you know. There
> is no reason a host need identify itself using the name in its DNS PTR
> records. There is no reason a sending host needs an MX record. If I have
> 30 hosts behind a BigIP box you're going to see one IP regardless of which
> host is connected to you. I may have dozens of hosts that resolve to a
> single IP, and hosts that resolve to dozens of IP's.
>
> The closest thing you have is SPF and it's barely implemented and
> voluntary. Sure glad it's been a quiet day :-)

Heh - quiet day here too.  I would say that if a sending domain does not
have an MX, then I don't want its mail.  Even mail-list domains should
receive mail for (un)subscribe.  You are right, a sending host doesn't
need an MX, but whatever ip it is coming out of should answer on port 25
to fly a 220 banner unless it is an end user.  I also realize that many
don't listen on port 25, however, it sure would help with the spam problem
if they would.  I think what this is coming down to is try it and see.

--
Eric Wheeler
Vice President

http://www.nsci.us/