Kevin Lowe wrote:
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your quick responce.

Some influential environment variables:
   CC          C compiler command
   CFLAGS      C compiler flags
   LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
               nonstandard directory <lib dir>

Pay particular attention to the LDFLAGS part.

i'm not familiar with LDFLAGS but googled it and tried the following:

$ setenv LDFLAGS -L/usr/home/USERNAME/bin/clam/lib
$ echo $LDFLAGS
-L/usr/home/USERNAME/bin/clam/lib

The  I ran
./configure --with-clamav --prefix=/usr/home/USERNAME/bin/php-clamavlib

and got:
configure: error: can not find sources in . or ..

It cant seem to find the source files, should I point it to the clamAV
source as I tried before?

Thanks,
KEvin

I reproduced your problem and worked through it thusly:

./configure --with-clamav=/usr/home/USERNAME/bin/clam

make

cd modules
ldd clamav.so

... lots of data with library paths correctly identified

When you built clamav all the libs, binaries, includes, manpages, etc., were put in the "--prefix=..." directory as subdirectories, so that is where to tell php-clamavlib's build process to look for the parts it needs. It's a bit messy and not the way I'd do it, but it will work. Adding yet another --prefix in the php-clamavlib build process makes things yet more messy, but again, it will work.

I presume you haven't access to /usr/local, so what I'd do is use this prefix:

--prefix=/usr/home/USERNAME/local

for both builds. You will end up with /usr/home/USERNAME/local/ with bin, sbin, lib, man, share, etc in there (the basic gnu structure) and these can be reused for other applications if you build more later.

dp