Steven Stern wrote:
Checking outgoing mail is pointless.  Why bother?

So you can reduce malware propagation?  (And as a result, maybe not
end up on everyone's local blacklist for spewing garbage...)

It is still pointless and a waste of processing power.

Yes this exactly the way zombie bot masters want you to feel. That way you can contribute to the spread of malware :^)

If I were mailing malware, I'd be sure to mark that it had been
scanned, approved, and was safe to open.

*nod*  I won't trust third-party headers claiming mail is safe or
non-spam...  I *will* happily trust third-party headers that say it's
malicious or spam.

Again, pointless. I do not believe that there is any industrial
standard or RFC that specifically states how to insert a header that
that marks an e-mail as infected. Then you would have to consider, was
it SPAM, a Trojan or something else and was it discovered via some
heuristic examination of the document. You could probably craft a whole
set of filters to exam the e-mail headers, etc, but why bother. Simply
employing your own AV software is a lot simpler, and probably more
reliable.

Of course, I do think anyone feels that trusting an email that states it is safe is an alternative to scanning by the receiver.

Jim