On 02/28/2011 08:56 PM, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
It personally wouldn't matter to me as I am running 0.97 on my servers.
So why am I fussing?

Last April when 0.96 was rolled out, some of out servers couldn't be upgraded.
  Fortunately, by August the ClamAV Team fixed whatever was broken in the first
couple of 0.96 releases, and we were able to upgrade the remaining systems.
However, if the DB issues had occurred then, I would have been one of the
0.95x users posting to this list.

Of course, the list response to someone running an old version is UPGRADE you
lazy, worthless, sysadmin wannabe.

Sometime Upgrade isn't a realistic possibility in their shop, and amazingly
has little to do with their intelligence, professional ability, or their
parentage.
:-)

11 months ago 0.95.x was the latest Clamav
I just think that the support cutout should have a time constraint ORed with
the existing version constraint.
Just my 2 cents.
I do empathize with your issue of upgrading a package is difficult in some circumstances. I would probably be considered one of the lazy, worthless, sysadmin wannabes (and of course have been called much worse on this list) because I run an extremely old OS, FC7. However, when a new package doesn't work or an update breaks something, I do not jump on a list and berate the developers. I ask questions (or at least used to but have such experience now forcing updates) and struggle till I get the update working. Many times this means going to other lists or looking for pre-compiled solutions. Getting to FC7 was one of these although I do not remember the reason at this time. Something would not work in FC6 so I upgraded to FC7. I have so many customizations that I am just too lazy to do a fresh install and redo all the customizations. I have that on my never ending to-do list though and will one day join the 21st century.

Just my 2 cents :-)

--
Jim Preston