On 3/5/11 8:36 AM, Jim Preston wrote:

You have missed the point, my system does serve my needs to the extent that
upgrading the OS is not worth the benefit till now. A major cause is the lack of
a clean upgrade path from the early FC versions. The recommended method was a
clean install. Since version 8 or 9 they have worked out the kinks with the
recommended upgrade path being an upgrade (pun intended). I have all the
versions through 13 and will in the near future begin the upgrade process again.

It may be possible to p2v (physical to virtual) that system and run it as a virtual machine in a newer version of Linux while you build up your new version application layer. This is the kind of solution to consider if you have just one machine and need to run the legacy product during development. VMWare's Player for Linux (and Windows) is free. If you have another Windows, Mac, or Linux desktop to use, you can develop your new environment as a VM there. Though there is no free VM tool for Mac - Fusion is dirt cheap. In this case there's no need to virtualize the legacy system.

dp