On 09/13/2011 12:33 PM, Al Varnell wrote:
On 9/13/11 10:18 AM, "sys...@ra-schaal.de"<sys...@ra-schaal.de>  wrote:

Am 13.09.2011 18:01, schrieb Al Varnell:
On Sep 13, 2011, at 8:15 AM, Dan<dantear...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Yet more failure on 88.198.67.125, this morning.  This one is a double.
I was going to wait a few more days to mention this, but since you bring it
up...

I have seen this twice a day almost every day since 29 Aug.  The only times I
didn't see this was when the database was reported to be up-to-date.  During
that same period, I was _never_ able to successfully connect to it.  This
can't be just my bad luck.
just your bad luck....

2011/09/05 - 297638 connects
2011/09/06 - 265677 connects
2011/09/07 - 265228 connects
2011/09/08 - 210367 connects
2011/09/09 - 230462 connects
2011/09/10 - 142702 connects
2011/09/11 - 120486 connects
2011/09/12 - 207272 connects
2011/09/13 - 129521 connetcs until now - 1916 CET

as mentioned a few days befor, YOU have a very slow connection to my
system.

I'm half a world away from you, so I'm not really surprised by that, but
what difference should it make?

just use another mirror instead of crying all the time about your bad setup.

What are you talking about?  I have no choice whatsoever on the mirror I
connect to!

-Al-

Well here I have to take exception. You have every option to choose mirrors that suit your liking better. If the US servers are not meeting your needs, pick a different region. If the US round-robin are using mirrors half way around the world, then..... there is no detraction to picking default mirrors that are half way around the world but choosing something other then US as the location. The fact that ClamXav HAS chosen to make it inconvenient for users to change update frequency or setting of db mirrors is NOT a clamav fault. The mechanism exists in freschclam but the port to OS X has chosen to ignore this very important feature. Would you like me to write a user interface application so OS X users can do this very simple preference setting? And don't get me started on some of the stupid approaches Apple has taken to a very simple to manage OS like FreeBSD. Although I choose express no opinion on the MACH kernel versus other kernels, the MACH kernel choice, is not issue that has detracted from the ability to easily set preferences. Apple has chosen to go the Microsoft route of "our users are too stupid to be allowed to do their own customization" and as such we OS X users have to suffer as we do with the choices made in Redmond.

--
Jim Preston
jimli...@commspeed.net