Hi there,

> On 8-9 Sep 2011 Luca Gibelli and I wrote:
>
> > > If anyone can provide a CVD mirror in US, please contact me directly.
> > > We definitely need more capacity in the db.us.clamav.net RR.
> >
> > I've asked this before and never had an answer, so I'll ask again.
> > Is there a reason why torrents can't be used?
>
> like twitter, torrent is not a requirement (we are planning to extend
> this rule to everything that starts with a 't').

Still no answer then? :)

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 Jim Preston wrote:

> Torrents have a bad reputation from pirating software, illegal digital
> media distribution, distributing infections and malware and such. I am
> not sure I would trust torrents in a general way.

Last I heard, the Internet had a similar reputation, but I guess you
still use it.  Of course in parts of the UK they call it 'tinternet'
so Luca might say it's not a requirement. :)  Since the widespread
adoption of strong encryption and digital certificates the Internet
has been used securely to transfer verifiable and non-repudiable
information.  The published ClamAV databases are verifiably signed.

> ... spreading the work over many pipes ...

That's the whole point, and that's why I keep banging on about it. :)

The ClamAV database mirrors appear to have a growing capacity problem.
Torrents are intended to alleviate the problem, and it takes, oh, ten
minutes to set one up.  Scripts already exist which could be adapted
fairly easily to use torrents instead of mirrors to download the data.
The DNS tells us the filenames to ask for.  Anybody can run a torrent,
the torrent software can control the data rates used by clients, and a
network of torrents is a much more challenging target for the Bad Guys
than a few mirrors.  So what's the problem?

--

73,
Ged.