On 9/13/11 10:51 PM, Jim Preston wrote:
Apple has chosen to go the Microsoft route of
"our users are too stupid to be allowed to do their own customization" and as
such we OS X users have to suffer as we do with the choices made in Redmond.

I'm a Mac user for my personal workstation and I don't feel any such from the top notion. OS X itself is adequately self sufficient (for now) to allow us to skirt the nutters at Apple. Is it happens that OS X becomes more IOS centric then yes, thinkers are doomed. I do believe that Apple is heading away from the general purpose computer towards an Apple Store centric OS that must necessarily go ka-ching each time you wish something clever would run on your Mac.

Some clues: VMware Fusion (hypervisor for Mac) will soon be an App-store only product. Same with Pixelmator (closest thing to photoshop for the Mac) and so for several others. And now we're way off topic, but it is true too for Windows users that all that we have grown up on is quickly ratcheting down to a single glass interface between us and our applications, and it is based on the iTunes model. I don't play gatekeeper well, so bumbye, general purpose computer Mac OS, hello Linux. SourceForge is my salvation. I hope.

dp