Hi there,

At about 1300 GMT today one of my mailservers rejected a message as
being an obvious scam.  As it happened I took a look at it.  It's a
typical bank phishing attempt.

Here's a part of the mail which includes a part of the link which the
reader is invited to visit.  Obviously I've removed the protocol name
and the trailing colon from the URI, and replaced them by "xxxxx".
Hopefully now the text won't trigger too many scanners. :)

[snip, snip] place a new [snip, snip] cookie on your computer.
To securely <B><A href="xxxxx//95.11064393/www1.firstdirec[snip]

The string "11064393" concatenated after the string "95." is converted
without fuss by browsers to the IP address of the criminal server.

I use most of the third party databases available for ClamAV.  Using
clamscan I scanned the text in its original form and it wasn't flagged
as suspect.

Is this one for Mr. Basford, or does it have wider implications?
Despite an hour or so of trying I haven't thought of a legitimate
reason for obfuscating an IP address in this way.

--

73,
Ged.