On 09/16/11 11:53, G.W. Haywood wrote:

> The string "11064393" concatenated after the string "95." is converted
> without fuss by browsers to the IP address of the criminal server.
>
> I use most of the third party databases available for ClamAV.  Using
> clamscan I scanned the text in its original form and it wasn't flagged
> as suspect.
>
> Is this one for Mr. Basford, or does it have wider implications?
> Despite an hour or so of trying I haven't thought of a legitimate
> reason for obfuscating an IP address in this way.

An IP address is a number between 0 and 2^32 (more or less). There are
plenty of ways to represent them. Who's to say which ones are obfuscated?

The decimal form is more efficient than the typical dotted-quad, which
is easier to remember. You have to convert either to binary to figure
out what a bitmask is going to do to it.