On Friday 07 December 2012 10:11:32 franckm did opine:

> gene heskett-4 wrote:

> >> Excuse me I'm not sure i understand.
> >>
> >> Does it mean it's possible.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >> If it's possible how can i set this up?
> >
> > A bash script, launching the inotifytools utility inotifywait, can
> > watch that mail spool directory, and takes action according the the
> > name of the file just modified which is returned by inotifywait.  I
> > do that to tell kmail over the dbus facility to go get the local mail
> > when procmail has written to the /var/spool/mail directory, only IF
> > the file being modified has a name that matches the 2 possible
> > incoming names.  But because I use procmail as fetchmail's MTA, a
> > detected virus never gets to those filenames, ergo kmail doesn't have
> > to deal with that.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> What mail pool?

First, its spool, a slanguage term I think, usually in /var/spool/mail/gene
for me.  gene is a 'mailfile' which is all the emails you have received,
such as from this list, and which will be zeroed out anytime your email
agent sucks the local mail.

Most email agents _can_ do the fetchmail, procmail job internally, but when
they do, they either stop responding to the user while they are doing that,
which in the case of kmail, which is single threaded, can be extremely
aggravating when it occurs in the middle of your typing a reply, and the
screen is a whole sentence behind your fingers on the keyboard.

All those effects just go away when you put fetchmail to work taking care
of that in the background.  Here with all that background work taken away
from kmail, its pickup of the incoming mail, filtering into the designated
folders might take 20 milliseconds, un-noticeable.  The sequence every 3
minutes, is fetchmail sends off mailfilter, which deletes known spams while
they sit in mailbox at your ISP.  Whats left is then pulled by fetchmail,
handed off to procmail, which causes clamd to yay/nay its virii content,
putting it in a safe location if its a known virus, what gets past that,
then gets looked at by spamd, adding a header that reports what it found to
the email as it goes by.  kmails filters look at that first, and if its
spam, route it to the spam folder, which gets fed back to keep the
spamassassin database up to date by another cron script once daily.  Then
the rest of the filters put the incoming email into the right folders.

Kmail gets its notice that new mail is available from a script that uses
inotifywait to trigger an internal dbus carried message that tells kmail to
go get the local mail.

It has been a bit of a bash scripting trip to make it all work, but the end
result is that all I do is hit the + key to go to the next new message,
read enough of it to see if I can answer it, if I can, hit the appropriate
reply button, type my answer, and hit send. I don't have to do ANYTHING
else.  Call me a lazy old man I guess. :)

> My files are delivered by ftp not by email.

With 3 exceptions here, the package managers normal activities cause 99% of
the file delivery.  And all 3 of those exceptions are handled by the
package manager, it just bitches because it doesn't have a security key
from those 3 sites.  Its biggest problem, and a genuine PIMA is that
LibreOffice has yet to demo they can actually write a menu updater that
just works. Synaptic bitches about that at every mouse click.  That gets
tiresome.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...