Mark Allan <markjal...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> For my, I use Mail.app the majority of the time.  Apparently if I delete
>> lines and inline reply like I do in Thunderbird, Mail.app just tells me to
>> eat dust and unthreads the whole thing.  Guess I should file a bug with
>> Apple.
>
> That's strange. I use Mail.app as well, and as far as I'm aware, there's
> never been a problem replying to emails and keeping the threading and quoted
> text.

Me too, never come across that. But then I'm still on 10.8 (Mountain Lion) so
can't speak for later versions, I know Apple does have a history of taking
something that works and "fixing" it - in the same way people talk of taking
their dog to the vet to be "fixed" (by removing bits that worked).

Groach <groachmail-stopspammin...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Consider my explanation of 'notification' above.  So now, how do I post a
> 'reply' to someone elses comment if I no longer have an "email notification"
> (to click 'REPLY' on)?

What I usually do in that situation is to carefully copy the email subject as
it appears in the archives and create a new email. The new email won't have any
references headers to link it to the thread, but any half decent client and
list archive should be capable of recognising the subject as being the same as
the existing thread and link it in that way.
Your message won't appear in the right place in the threaded view in the
archives, but it should appear in the same thread.

The same issue occurs for people getting a list digest.

In theory, if it's presented, you could copy the message header from the
archive and add that as a custom header (In-Replay-To:) to your email. Looking
at the Mailman archive for the list it doesn't seem to be presented, but I
suspect some archives may keep and display it.
The key headers are :