I have to agree on the memory requirements for clamd being high. I wonder if it would make sense to store the data set of signatures in a tiered hierarchy, with some of the less used data being on disk until there's a hit? i don't know enough about the internals and scanning algorithm used in clamd to speak meaningfully about it...