On Sat May 13 13:25:07 2017 From: Alain Zidouemba <azidoue...@sourcefire.com>
wrote:

> Yara rules have been supported by ClamAV since 2015:
> http://blog.clamav.net/2015/06/clamav-099b-meets-yara.html
>
> - Alain

I'm following these instructions now.  The instruction say, "just place your
YARA rule files into the ClamAV virus database location." I've copied the
Homland Security yara script to a file, wannaCry.yar, in my /var/lib/clamav
directory.

Is that it? No clamscan switch or config setting? Is there any way to confirm
this rule is being used?

I also downloaded and looked at the yara repo on github.  There are over 400
rules in the zipfile.  To use some or all of them would I just unzip into my
database location?

The instructions also say, "Regular expressions in both YARA rules and ClamAV
logical signatures require the Perl Compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE)
library." Is there a way to see if my clamAV was built with this?

Thanks, Mark