Hi Al,

thank you for your reply, there it is.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/5005acda657bc9b612ce4b7a2369856c737f39855d4923c03289915acdc17075/detection

and another sample (looking at it in IDA, it seems that it adds random
garbage at the end)

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/2fbfb38768270ccaf041b2a6152f11f2696cd467642fed9f2c4a97f30906baf1/detection

It’s some variant of the usual stuff that infects USB keys, of the “move
everything under an invisible directory and add a link to it that starts
the virus” variety.

The .lnk points to

|c:\Windows\system32 cmd.exe /c start rundll32 (invisible directory
name)\ebdbaaedddeeadfbcccfdcacfddcccddbaecbda.ebdbaaedddeeadfbcccfdcacfddcccddbaecbda,NEdcBKdCBWDCwvWb!%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

(where
|ebdbaaedddeeadfbcccfdcacfddcccddbaecbda.ebdbaaedddeeadfbcccfdcacfddcccddbaecbda|
is the particular name the virus dll got renamed to in this instance,
and |NEdcBKdCBWDCwvWb| its rundll-conforming entrypoint; they both
change at each infection)

This starts the malware itself which infects the machine, and then
starts Windows Explorer on the invisible folder (so the user is shown
his files).

Didn’t really look in what else it does to the machine; surely it gets
infected to spread the virus, as putting another USB key into the
infected machine did infect it as well.

Matteo

​