ClamAV can scan any type of file. That said, it can unpack certain kinds of
archives and scan the files inside. Also, ClamAV signatures can be written for
specific kinds of files (PE files, text, etc) and they will only be used for
those types.

I haven’t tried increasing the size beyond that so I can’t say.

Scanning on network drives incurs the same read penalty that all network drive
access does. There is nothing special about scanning that incurs anything
additional.

Sincerely,
Maarten

Sent from a tiny keyboard