On Jul 2, 2018, at 1:17 PM, Reindl Harald
<h.rei...@thelounge.net<mailto:h.rei...@thelounge.net>> wrote:

on a typical setup freshclam is running once or twice *daily* while a
webserver these days can spit out the same small static txt file many
thousands of times per seond with zero load

That is not the results we are seeing.  There are a LARGE amount of people that
check for updates once or twice a day, yes.  However, we have hundreds of
thousands of people that check for updates hundreds of times a day.  We haven't
started concentrating on these people yet (our biggest offender is one IP that
checks 100,000+ times a day), but clearly that's excessive.  We publish approx
5-6 times a day.  So, let's say you check 50 times a day....  Clearly, that's
enough.

--
Joel Esler
Sr. Manager