We used to check once every 90 minutes (16 per day). Plus, we run a
local proxy/mirror so the updates can be served to other machines on
our LAN without extra load on the ClamAV servers.

That was before the new mirroring scheme. Now we're checking several
times per hour in the (vain?) hope of getting something. And to make it
much worse, many of the cvd downloads are out of sync, and thus useless.

P.S. I could probably open a port (of our choosing) in our firewall to
receive some kind of notification and have *that* trigger a freshclam
run on our internal mirror. But I seriously doubt many users could.