Dino Edwards wrote:
Answering my own question on the /var/run and the /run directories. There is a link between the two, I just didn’t go up a level in the directory structure. The question about the error still remains though.

The chown and mkdir look a bit suspect to me; I'm not seeing anything like that in the Debian packages (which should be mostly the same in Ubuntu). What I *do* see in one of the stock files (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.socket) is this stanza:

[Socket]
ListenStream=/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
#ListenStream=127.0.0.1:1024
SocketUser=clamav
SocketGroup=clamav
RemoveOnStop=True

which if I understand correctly, implies that clamd on this system is using systemd's socket creation/handling voodoo rather than doing so itself.

Can you post:

- Output from  "dpkg -L clamav-daemon |grep system"

- Contents of any .service or .socket files from the above list

- Contents of any files in /etc/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service.d

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

   Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service.d

            └─extend.conf

This seems to indicate that you're not using the stock systemd service definitions from Ubuntu/Debian upstream.

-kgd