On 01/12/2019 00:19, Mark Fortescue via clamav-users wrote:
Hi Gary,

How much memory do you have available.

You probably need 8G or more of ram for the latest and greatest as my understanding is that may be storing two copies of the databases in ram to speed up database reloading delays.

Your SSL library is running out of memory after downloading the daily database and then can't connect for downloading all the daily updates.

If you have plenty of memory then the other alternative is that there is a buffer overrun during the daily decompression and that is messing up the malloc() tables.

Do you have 'valgrind'. That would help find any buffer overruns but it does take a bit of getting use to for first time users.

There are more primitive approaches for finding buffer overruns but you would need to be vary familiar with the SSL and freshclam source code for these.

Hi,

Thanks for that, but this is "freshclam" we are talking about, which does not keep two copies of the database(s) in memory, that's "clamd."

And the machine has 8Gb of RAM (and 10Gb of swap), unless there is a requirement to build 0.102.x as 64-bit[1] that I missed this shouldn't matter.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)

1 - If this is necessary, then configure needs to be fixed.