I believe that building a trust store may be exactly what is needed.

Freshclam in 0.102 relies on openssl to validate certificates.  On Mac &
Windows, it will import the native system certificate stores, but on all other
operating systems it relies on openssl's certificate store.  If your machine
doesn't have one set up, you'll have to build one.

As mentioned earlier, there is no automatic http fallback, but you can manually
change the DatabaseMirror option in freshclam.conf from "database.clamav.net"
to "http://database.clamav.net"; if you wish.

Regards,
Micah

On 12/2/19, 9:26 AM, "clamav-users on behalf of Packard, Scott E [US] (AS)"
<clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net on behalf of scott.pack...@ngc.com>
wrote:

    > but if someone can tell me how to make openssl 1.1.1 pick up the root
certificates

    This is just a guess:

    https://www.feistyduck.com/library/openssl-cookbook/online/ch-openssl.html

    " The private/ folder is empty, but that's normal; you do not yet have any
private keys. On the other hand, you'll probably be surprised to learn that the
certs/ folder is empty too. OpenSSL does not include any root certificates;
maintaining a trust store is considered outside the scope of the project.
Luckily, your operating system probably already comes with a trust store that
you can use. You can also build your own with little effort, as you'll see in
the next section."
    Then it goes on to a section "Building a Trust Store".

    Regards, Scott