> but if someone can tell me how to make openssl 1.1.1 pick up the root
> certificates

This is just a guess:

https://www.feistyduck.com/library/openssl-cookbook/online/ch-openssl.html

" The private/ folder is empty, but that's normal; you do not yet have any
private keys. On the other hand, you'll probably be surprised to learn that the
certs/ folder is empty too. OpenSSL does not include any root certificates;
maintaining a trust store is considered outside the scope of the project.
Luckily, your operating system probably already comes with a trust store that
you can use. You can also build your own with little effort, as you'll see in
the next section."
Then it goes on to a section "Building a Trust Store".

Regards, Scott