> > Normally when a client connection is reject by my sendmail server,
> > the client is notified of the Reject message and the client server
> > is generating a NDR. This is listed in my log as [1] however when I
> > send a virus it looks like sendmail is not reporting the reject back
> > to the client server. How should I 'enable' this?
>
> This isn't a ClamAV question, more one about Sendmail configuration
> and MTA/client behaviour.

I am not sure about this, also because I have no knowledge of how the
communication between the MTA and the milter is handled. I think it could be
related to the way the reject is being done by the milter. I have a bit of
experience with mailfromd and if I reject a message there the MTA processes it
correctly but different from clamav-milter.

> If I've understood what you've said you want, and your configuration,
> it all seems OK.  Both log snippets show a rejection in replies which
> are made to the client.
>
> They do not however show any NDR, they're just parts of the client/MTA
> conversation which starts with "connect from" and can be terminated by
> the MTA more or less at any point during what follows, right up to the
> final '.' on a line on its own.  If the MTA terminates with a 4xx code
> or 5xx code the message[*] is considered rejected (respectively either
> temporarily or permanently) and the client MAY take some optional text
> attached to the reply by the MTA and use it in an NDR which it creates
> for return to the originator of the mail.  In this case the MTA does
> not create the NDR, it's up to the client,

correct! I am only working with this setup.

> If the MTA actually accepts the message but later on finds that it's
> undeliverable then according to the RFCs it must create an NDR itself
> (but that doesn't appear to be the case in either of your examples).

correct! the frontend servers know what can be relayed.

> If you're thinking about what are sometimes called 'bounce' messages,
> where a message is received (and accepted) by an MTA and it promptly
> replies to that message with one of its own saying that the message
> has been dropped in the trash can, then please don't do that because
> it will likely add to the problems caused by the original message.

Indeed, I noticed somewhere in clamav or clamav-milter there was a '--bounce'
option. And I was wondering if it really generates a message or it is
facilitating the reject function.