Regarding your comments:
-------------------------------------
"It's like making your hash table really, really big in the hopes you won't
have a collision."
The size of the domain name space is what it is, and isn't getting adjusted
in any way to fill the need for package naming.

"It purports to be some type of globally unique identifier when in fact it
is not."
Are you really implying that an e-mail address and/or a domain is not
globally unique'?
-------------------------------------

I think you are missing the point of most of the objections that have
appeared here so far.  IMHO they can be summed up as (a) there's no good
reason not to cooperate with an adopted convention, especially one that
works (e.g. it's not like they are doing it to solve some problem), and (b)
it certainly **is** arrogant to think that they own the three letters 'GNU'.
Do I own 'TJL'?  I don't think so.

It's (as far as the Internet is concerned) culturally unsound to arbitrarily
confound even a de-facto standard or system simply because you can, and just
the fact that it hasn't caused a problem yet is no defense for such a poor
attitude.  What if everyone decided to act so self-centered?  Think about
that for a minute.

Regards,
TJL