Wes,

You are obviously unaware of the document at:

http://www.gnu.org/software/java/why-gnu-packages.txt

Allow me to quote from it:

"There is no measurable benefit of using org.gnu instead of gnu.  I refuse
to be concerned over anybody who might use gnu as a package prefix without
co-ordinating with gnu.org - that's their problem, not ours."

What does the statement "..that's there problem not ours." say about
arrogance and ownership of 'GNU'?

Please take the time to respond to this question because I really would like
to hear an explanation of your statement "..I don't think anyone is arguing
that the abstract, conceptual entity known as the Free Software Foundation
owns, or even CAN own, such an abstract, conceptual entity as a namespace --
in fact quite the opposite."

Regards,
TJL
 .