Philippe> I'm wondering if there is any interest in making the
Philippe> Classpath build configurable and the code correspondingly
Philippe> modular enough that dependencies such as GTK can be matched
Philippe> with older versions of GTK, at the expense of degraded
Philippe> functionality of course, so that one can benefit from
Philippe> improvements in other sections of the code base while not
Philippe> upgrading specific other dependencies.

My opinion is that I would approve a clean patch to do
this...  barring objections from other developers, of course.

However, I think it would have to be maintained by the folks using it
-- i.e., I would expect that folks doing regular development against
gtk 2.8 would not be responsible for breakage.

Tom