On 19/03/2008, Trevor Harmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Andreas Tobler wrote:
>
>  > You need an ecj.tar
>

> What version of ecj do I need for the latest classpath? Is 3.1.2 good
>  enough?

3.2 works for definite.  I seem to recall 3.1.2 working but don't
quote me on that.  Give it a try, and let us know if it doesn't.

>  > and a working jamvm.
>
>  Okay this is something that has confused me. classpath seems to have a
>  dependency on jamvm, but jamvm seems to have a dependency on
>  classpath. How is this not circular?

It is circular.  Such is life with Java (OpenJDK also needs a JDK to
compile FWIW).  To bootstrap, you can use gcj/gij to run ecj.  Many
distros (e.g. debian) ship with a native version of ecj that runs
using gcj.

--
Andrew :-)

Document Freedom Day - March 26th
http://documentfreedom.org

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8