Hi,

On 3/19/08, Andrew John Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, most distros should ship with old versions of Classpath and a VM
> so you should be able to use that to run ecj (it doesn't require 1.5
> features, which is where the problem comes in).  Likewise, you can
> build pre-0.95 versions of Classpath with a native compiler like
> Jikes.  Unfortunately, no non-Java compilers managed to jump the fence
> to 1.5 :(

Yes, any pre-0.95 version of Classpath should be OK to bootstrap a
later version of Classpath using ecj.  JamVM 1.5.1 is compatible with
0.92 and 0.93 which can be used for this purpose (there was no 0.94).
I use GNU Classpath-0.92, as this is one I have available locally...

When later versions of JamVM breaks compatibility with 0.92/0.93,
you'll also have to download and build an older version to do the
bootstrap (or any other compatible VM).

It might be useful to have a list somewhere of GNU Classpath versions
and a list of which VM/versions are compatible with it!

Thanks,
Rob.