On Oct 13, 12:37 pm, JumpingJupiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> pretty verbose even for simply windows. Some parts could be shortened
> with some extra macro - menu's in particular, but I'm starting to
> think UI code is going to look pretty ugly unless you drastically
> limit the options for customisation - there's just too many widgets
> with too may variables involved.

Yeah, it does pretty much always seem to turn ugly, no matter what you
do :( I've lately been leaning towards the "define your widgets, then
lay them out" style, rather than customising inline in the layout. The
chicken bb egg has some other interesting ideas [http://
chicken.wiki.br/bb] but even there it ends up looking ugly sooner or
later.

Another way to go is the "design your gui in a gui designer, then
connect code to the resulting interface file" method, which I've seen
Ruby/(Qt, Gtk, Swing) projects use with decent success. In particular
the developers of Monkeybars (JRuby/Swing) project have come out and
said that manually laying out widgets in code is counterproductive.

What did look very promising was the approach taken by the Chicken/Qt
egg, which has widget constructors take a UIXML string (as generated
by QtDesigner) to instantiate themselves. In theory, that should let
you build up an application-specific rich widget collection quickly
and easily, then manipulate it from code, and also work on SXML->UIXML
methods that would let you generate widgets programmatically. I had
problems getting the egg up and running, though (this was a few years
ago), and used PLT instead, but when I have the free time I plan to go
take another look at it.

martin