On Dec 3, 3:05 pm, "Rich Hickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > I've created a patch for the clojure source that does the following:
>
> > - Adds a minimal site build, with links to the main Clojure web site
> > (http://clojure.org)
> > - Generates a source JAR to go with the binary JAR
> > - Generates JavaDoc for the project site  (if profile "javadoc" is enabled)
> > - Adds a Maven profile, "ci", for a nightly continuous integration
> > build, to deploy Maven artifacts to a local Maven repository
>
> > This is based on icky Maven stuff I wrote for Tapestry a year or so ago.
>
> > I'm also in the process of revamping tapestry.apache.org to make it
> > more of a project hosting site; it will (soon) have Bamboo (continuous
> > integration server),
> > Confluence (Wiki), JIRA (Issue Tracking) and SVN.  I could set up a
> > post-commit and nightly build for Clojure at any time.  This has
> > served the Tapestry community quite well, giving people easy access to
> > latest-and-greatest snapshots and (JavaDoc) documentation.
>
> > Note that the clojure-logo.png file must be stored in
> > src/site/resources/images.
>
> Interesting, thanks. I'm left wondering about Maven support.
>
> Maven is not the build system for Clojure, Ant is. Early on, someone who
> wanted to use maven contributed a pom.xml, but it can get stale.
>
> Recently, some enhancements made it into build.xml. Are they reflected in
> this patch?
>
> Personally, I think the best thing would be to get rid of pom.xml - it just
> confuses people as to how to build Clojure, which is:
>
> ant clean
> ant
>
> I know people get religious about these build systems, but I just don't have
> time for it. Clojure is a tiny, simple thing.
>
> That said, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on how best to have a single
> build system of record (Ant) and satisfy Maven users?
>
> Rich

I'm a Maven fan, and I think it'll be good if clojure supports it.
But "support" here can mean different things.  And the minimal
"support" for maven could be to just drop the clojure.jar in public
maven repository.

I see just one possible problem with this scenario: ASM, which clojure
bundles.  If somebody adds clojure and a different version of ASM
things can get hairy.  But that's orthogonal to maven/ant decision.