exactly. . . .but I bet a lot of people would just reply that this is
not possible to address since the REPL is the one and only vm.
Disclaimer, I'm only guessing at that, too.  I don't understand any of
this, yet.  But if that's the case, fix that.  Have the REPL send
messages to the vm that's running the program . . . instead of the
REPL being the program.