I have had similar problems with enclojure.  But having gone through
similar IDE pain working in Ruby on Rails, the Netbeans support ended
up being way ahead of most IDEs, so I have hopes that enclojure will
get there in time.  (My biggest annoyance?  The fact that you can't
open existing code as a new project - I want to browse
clojure-contrib, but I can only do it by creating a new "hello world"
project first!)

I'd kind-of like to re-learn emacs - many years ago I was a keen emacs
user - my biggest problem is that I'm on a Mac, and I have to keep
switching between IDEs and PCs (my work desktop is Linux) not to
mention languages.  I don't have the spare brain cells to learn
another set of key bindings!  I need an IDE with easy built-in help,
and while "M-x slime-cheatsheet" is handy, it doesn't spare me the
world-o-pain when I hit "Alt-w" (one of the few keystrokes my fingers
remember from last time) and my emacs window closes!  Argh!

So I try to stick with IDEs that have everything on menus, so when I
forget the "open file anywhere in project" command for a particular
IDE, I can look it up.  (Does Emacs have this, by the way?  It doesn't
really have a "project" concept... )

I might look at the JEdit plugin though - JEdit is nice, for simple
editing, which might be good enough for me for now.

Incidentally, if you want a language with an editor built in, why not
look at Smalltalk?  I vaguely recall that was a big part of the
original language concept.  I haven't ever played with it myself, but
the most popular current flavour seems to be Squeak:
http://www.squeak.org/

- Korny

--
Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com
kornys at gmail dot com on google chat -- kornys on skype