On Jan 20, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Jason Wolfe wrote:

>> On Jan 20, 4:15 pm, Chouser <chou...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree.

>>> That's a very interesting point.  My impression has been that lack
>>> of
>>> objection from him here (or on IRC) is sufficient approval to post
>>> something on the issues page.  If he was completely opposed to these
>>> proposals, he's had several days to make his opinion known.
>>>
>>> Of course that's no guarantee that the issue or any particular patch
>>> will be approved, but it makes sure that issues and proposed patches
>>> aren't lost in archives.
>>>
>>> Hopefully Rich will clarify his wishes on this.
>>>

>> Yes, proposed changes to clojure-contrib should be discussed here
>> first. If a member of clojure-contrib approves, they should become
>> clojure-contrib issues, and any related patches attached to such
>> issues. clojure-contrib members can incorporate (or not!) those
>> patches (when coming from registered contributors), check them in,
>> and
>> resolve the issues.
>
> Thanks Rich.  But, I think this answers only one of the questions at
> hand (about clojure.contrib issues).  The other question (to which I
> think Chouser was referring above) was about issues for Clojure core,
> and whether or not an explicit sign-off from you was  desired before
> they are posted there.  This came up in this thread since after
> discussing with Chouser, several of my utilities seemed better-suited
> as changes/additions to Clojure core rather than contrib.

I didn't find any of them compelling enough for core just yet. Putting
them in contrib first lets people try them out and refine them, point
out redundancies and conflicts etc.

As a general rule I haven't pulled many simple combining functions
from contrib, as they just pollute the namespaces. Plus, I don't think
things are as cut and dried as you make out, for instance I'd expect
map-when and iterate-while to take predicates.

Rich