On Feb 19, 11:39 am, Stuart Halloway <stuart.hallo...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for the kind words, David. I hope many people will like
> Programming Clojure and find it useful.
>
> Clojure has a *ton* of goodness in it. I think many of the chapters in
> Programming Clojure book could usefully be followed with an entire
> book. Here is a partial list of recommendations for companion reading:
>
> For Java Interop:
> * The JVM spec (free online). Know your platform. :-)
>
> For Functional Programming:
> * Real World Haskell (free online)
>
> For Concurrency:
> * Java Concurrency in Practice
>
> For Macros:
> * On Lisp (free online)
>
> For Lisp in General:
> * Practical Common Lisp (free online)
> * Paradigms of AI Programming
>
> For Multimethods:
> * The Art of the Metaobject Protocol
>
> Just Because:
> * Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
>
> Cheers,
> Stuart
>
> > Of course I beg to differ.  The Stuart Halloway's book is fantastic
> > of course, I have it myself.  It's absolutely required reading.
> > Stuart does his best to describe the ins and outs of the language
> > while giving a crash course on the Lisp philosophy.  And yes Clojure
> > is syntactically different from Scheme and Common Lisp, however many
> > of the non-Clojure texts suggested do a better job explaining the
> > deeper why's of Lisp programming, concepts that go beyond the
> > particular implementation.  In fact I would probably recommend the
> > Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs as the
> > indispensable Lisp text above all others.
>
> > But thats just MHO.
>
> > David
>
> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Rayne <disciplera...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > Telling someone to read a book that isn't even focused on the language
> > he's trying to learn isn't a great way to help them. Tell him to read
> > Programming Clojure or something, anything but Common Lisp and Scheme
> > books, he isn't learning those languages he's learning Clojure. There
> > is enough information around on Clojure that someone shouldn't be
> > forced to read a book on a completely different language.
>
> > No offense guys.

Another good way to learn clojure is to convert Java code to clojure
code and compare and contrast.  I assume you know Java, I have found,
I can take a any piece of Java code and rewrite it in Clojure.  On the
first try, it might look call for call like the Java code.  On the
refactoring, I will clean it up to make it more lisp like.