> With the time we have (around 1 month for this stage), is this something we
> can easily build in Clojure?

Hard to say. I would expect a small team already familiar with Clojure could
probably build this in a month but I don’t know how long it’ll take your team
to ramp up. Java-to-Clojure is easy for some and extremely hard for others.

> Is the movement from Java to Clojure easy for someone completely new to
> Clojure?

See above. Familiarity with Java means the ecosystem and tooling (and
stacktraces) won’t cause you any problems, but at the same time, if your
developers are steeped in Java / OOP thinking, Clojure can be very confusing at
first (How do I encapsulate my data? How do I write a loop? How do I handle
state? Etc).

> Are the libraries that we might use for this - I had a look at Ring briefly
> robust for our use case?

Yes, people are building solid production systems with Clojure all the time.
We’ve used Clojure in production for nearly seven years now and we’ve been
extremely happy with the stability of everything we’ve used.

> Does Clojure have good support for using AWS for example? (You can call Java
> from Clojure so I guess this wouldn't really be an issue.)

It’ll depend on exactly what you plan to use from the vast AWS stable but, in
general, yes since as you observe, you can always drop down to Java.

> Does it interface well with MySQL?

Yes, we run a large MySQL-based production system in Clojure – and all our JDBC
access has been via Clojure for several years. Caveat: I maintain the
clojure.java.jdbc Contrib library, so I may be a little biased here ☺

Sean

  • New to... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
    • R... Dennis Roberts
      • ... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
        • ... Christopher Small
    • R... Matching Socks
    • R... Sean Corfield
      • ... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
    • R... simon lomax
      • ... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
    • R... Gregg Reynolds
    • R... Gregg Reynolds
      • ... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
        • ... Gregg Reynolds
          • ... Gregg Reynolds