On Jan 9, 2017 5:06 PM, "(hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")" <
nas....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all!

So, I'm new to Clojure! I'm coming in from a Java background and am
currently working on a project that has prompted me to have a look at
whether Clojure would be useful.
I have started by going through the "Brave Clojure" website and working
through the exercises and what I've seen has at many times just made me
smile at the (at least so far) intuitiveness, simplicity and power of the
language. My use case is this:

A real time (sealed bid) auctioning system. We have a maximum number of
bids (example 100) that's set by the owner of the product. Our clients then
bid on the product. Once a bid is made, it's committed to a database and
the counter increments. The next bid is processed, and so on. Once the
maximum number of bids is reached, bidding stops. This auctioning system is
for a mobile application however the main code for the real time system
sits on a web server. The mobile app is a very thin client so simply makes
a call to the app server via an API which then processes that request (and
returns the result).

Requests are processed in order - so we're following a "first come first
serve" approach. If at any time a request is due to be processed and the
counter hits 100, all requests should gracefully "fail" and be blocked from
bidding. Now this is obviously possible in Java, albeit with a lot more
code and thinking about the different ways to make everything thread-safe,
etc. This is a completely new project so there's no restriction on
languages to be used, etc. PS: We're all Java developers.

you might want to take a look at the awesome
https://github.com/ztellman/aleph

  • New to... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
    • R... Dennis Roberts
      • ... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
        • ... Christopher Small
    • R... Matching Socks
    • R... Sean Corfield
      • ... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
    • R... simon lomax
      • ... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
    • R... Gregg Reynolds
    • R... Gregg Reynolds
      • ... (hash-map :new "to clojure" :need "assistance")
        • ... Gregg Reynolds
          • ... Gregg Reynolds