I don't have much more to add than what others have written - I don't have
very strong feelings about this, but it seems worth fixing if the contrib
process is a significant barrier to contribution. And if that happens, I
agree with Chas that it seems worth taking the time to reboot it properly,
since having the CA in the project's history will probably confuse
potential contributors who care about that sort of thing.

In general, I've never had the need to submit patches for nREPL since it's
been stable since I started using it seriously. That's only for Clojure
though, I believe there's some serious work that could be done on the
ClojureScript side and IIRC that was a source of some frustration for some
users a while back. I'd be very happy to see that progressing!

There are also potential issues with API compatibility going forward, but I
don't see those as particularly more difficult than if nREPL continues to
evolve under the contrib umbrella. I also suspect that there's probably not
too much risk of the community fragmenting - you'd only have to convince
less than half a dozen nREPL clients to switch and you'd get essentially
the whole community moving, I expect. As long as the wire protocol doesn't
change during that transition I don't see why that would be too painful.

Cheers,
Colin