On 20 July 2017 at 08:14, Sean Corfield <s...@corfield.org> wrote:

> At the risk of being unpopular… 😊
>

> I think there are quite a few people who _*say*_ that it’s an obstacle to
> their contributing to Clojure or to a Contrib library but in reality they
> wouldn’t actually contribute anyway, so it becomes an excuse.
>

> For example, I’ve seen many people over the years complain about needing
> to sign a CA and submit a patch in order to update the documentation that
> is part of a project. Years ago, I moved all the documentation for
> clojure.java.jdbc off to clojure-doc.org where anyone can create issues
> and submit PRs because it’s “just” a GitHub project. Despite removing all
> the supposed “barriers to entry”, there have been almost zero community
> contributions of any sort to that documentation (with one recent exception:
> huge thank you to ehashman for some great work submitted recently!).

I think few people can doubt my contributions to OSS projects, but I value
my time too much to waste it on JIRA and updating patches like crazy there.
Raising the barrier to entry to basic projects like nREPL and
clojure.java.jdbc seems pointless to me. It might make sense for Clojure,
but it certainly doesn't make much sense for anything else.

Giving a documentation example is unfair - how many developers fond of
writing documentation do you know? Most of my bigger OSS projects are
getting a ton of contributions from all sorts of people.

> A lot of big, well-known FOSS projects require a signed CA and have very
> specific contributing processes. Either folks will contribute or they
> won’t. I find it hard to believe that nREPL will suddenly get a stream of
> contributions that it wouldn’t get if it continues as a Contrib project.
> Hundreds of people have signed CAs on file – there’s a good pool of people
> who could, easily, contribute to nREPL already.
>

> Forking, renaming, and rebooting a fundamental bedrock project like nREPL
> could be very risky, and could cause a lot of pain/churn for a lot of
> Clojure users out there.

Let's be honest - Chas is basically the only nREPL dev, so it seems to me
that all we need to have a painless transition is his blessing of a
fork/reboot. The pain would be mostly updating deps in projects like lein
and boot. CIDER is one of the projects with biggest commitment to nREPL
(and we've been behind many bugfixes and small improvements in recent
years) and we'd support a fork/reboot 100%.