This is what primarily keeps me from ever building a first (web) app with
Clojure.

Even the Web Development with Clojure, 3rd edition that I bought (beta)
still does not have the section on this topic filled in.

I'm convinced that part of what prevents Clojure from being adopted more is
the lack of a killer framework.  When I ask about this, the usual answer is
that Clojure people don't like to be constrained and are happier to choose
their own tools and libraries.  This is great if you already know what
you're doing, but it's a vertical wall for newbies.

I admit I have not yet looked at Coast on Clojure - and perhaps it has the
potential to be that entry point for newbies.

But apropos to your question, perhaps the Coast docs on authentication will
help you.  They illustrate using Buddy.  Buddy has not been updated since
Q3 2017 (a fact I find discouraging), but perhaps it is still relevant.
https://github.com/coast-framework/coast/blob/master/docs/authentication.md

I keep dreaming of a Clojure-based starter system that includes
authentication and some form of database interface (definitely need not be
ORM; just a demonstrated pattern).  We could begin with that, and once we
have a clue what's what, then we can go the usual Clojure route and hand
select every library.