On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM, chris <cnuern...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is putting it quite strongly, Howard.
>
> Instead of stating the problem as a problem of arrogance, it would be
> better to state it as without X, you can't get Y.
>
> Specifically, without better documentation there exists a class of
> users that will not use clojure and there exists a class of problems
> that will take a lot longer to solve than they would otherwise take
> with better documentation.
>
> Without more testing it will be impossible to say that any given
> change in subversion won't break a program.  Really, this is an
> impossible statement anyway although I realize that tests mitigate the
> problem somewhat.  Thus we can't use x.y.z.  Every change would be
> just x (somewhat absurd but at least correct).
>
> Your point release theory sounds good if the use cases of your library
> are very will defined and tested.  A programming language doesn't fit
> the testability coverage scenario very well as it is, well, a turing
> complete language and thus it would be difficult at best to prove it
> was working as it was before after *any* non-trivial change (difficult
> meaning it is unlikely anyone here is a good enough mathematician to
> do it in the average case).

Only a small portion of the code is the language; most of Clojure is
the standard library, which can
be unit tested. Testability is one of the foundations of functional
programming, so its
painful to see no actual tests.

> I agree that more tests would be a good thing; I personally am not
> going to touch clojure source without more tests that show a little
> more of the intent of what the code is doing.  But clients of clojure
> *should* have sufficient tests to ensure that upgrading clojure will
> not present a massive problem; it is impossible for Rich or anyone
> else to provide this guarantee.

There are no guarantees, but there are measures you can take to
inspire confidence.