On 16.04.2009, at 18:53, Rich Hickey wrote:

> What does 1.0 mean to you? Are we there yet? Any recommendations for
> the organization of the release branches, patch policy etc?

What I tacitly expect from a 1.0 release (or any official, numbered
release) is
- bug fixes without imposed changes in functionality for at least a year
- the promise not to introduce breaking changes in future releases
unless there is a very good reason to do so
- a clear indication of potentially breaking changes by a change in
version number
- an outline of how future changes will be handled so that I can
prepare for them in my own code management

For a 1.0 release in particular, I expect sufficient stability and
completeness for use in real-life projects.

 From my own experience with today's Clojure, I'd say the stability
is there. I am less convinced about completeness, but that's mainly
because there are many things I haven't yet tried to do. Overall, the
discussions on the group don't leave the impression that there are
glaring holes anywhere. However, it is possible that many users are
relying on clojure-contrib for completeness, and if that is the case,
the status of clojure-contrib needs to be considered as well before a
1.0 release.

What I miss most for a 1.0 release is some idea of how future changes
will be handled, and what Clojure users can safely count on. For
example, every new function added to clojure.core will break code
that has chosen to use the same name for something else. While such
incompatibilities are easy to fix (with an exclusion in refer-
clojure), they are still a pain if they happen frequently. Another
point is multimethod dispatch. Various ideas have been discussed
here, and most of them, if adopted, are likely to break a lot of code
relying on the current approach.

As for bug fixes for a stable release, you pointed out that someone
would have to take care of them (mostly by backporting fixes in trunk
I guess). I don't think it will be hard to find a team of volunteers,
but it would be nice to arrange this before an official release. The
same team could also maintain a stable subset of clojure-contrib as a
kind of standard library.

Konrad.