> What does 1.0 mean to you? Are we there yet? Any recommendations for
> the organization of the release branches, patch policy etc?

I see 1.0 as indicating there will be a significant period (months)
between breaking changes. It seems we are there, based on your
comments on API stability. HLShip's recommended x.y.z release
numbering policy would be fine, but from my perspective any release/
patch policy you adopt will be fine as long as it's clearly documented
what changes will be breaking vs new api's and bug fixes. At this time
I don't think there is much value in a system to manage patches to old
releases. Bugs could be reported and the latest version patched, and
then users could make the decision of whether to backport the patch
themselves or upgrade to the latest rev. If a significant user base of
an older release develops, this could be revisited (ie cross that
bridge when you come to it).