On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll be doing two sessions involving Clojure at JavaOne this June. One
> is a traditional talk (TS-4164), the other is as a participant in the
> Script Bowl 2009: A Scripting Languages Shootout (PAN-5348).
>
> The 'script' bowl is a friendly competition, basically a place to show
> off your language and seek audience acclaim.
>
> "Scripting language gurus returning from 2008 are Groovy, JRuby,
> Jython, and Scala. This year there is also a new kid on the block:
> Clojure."
>
> There are two very brief rounds, 4 minutes per language each round .
>
> round 1: Core language and libraries round (show something really cool
> with the core language and libraries)
>
> round 2: Community round (show some significant community
> contributions)
>
> Note there is no comparative aspect, each language presenter talks up
> their own language and the audience decides, so it's not an
> opportunity to draw contrasts explicitly. It's about being pro-
> Clojure, not anti- anything else.
>
> The audience is Java developers, many of whom will have never seen
> Clojure or any Lisp.
>
> I'd appreciate some suggestions *and help* preparing demos for the
> Script Bowl. What (that could be demonstrated in 4 minutes) would make
> you think - 'Clojure looks cool, I need to look into it'?

I think this should be a demo of the basic use of Refs and STM. The
tough part is keeping this simple enough to explain and demo in 4
minutes. The bank example at
http://java.ociweb.com/mark/clojure/article.html#ReferenceTypes is too
long. Maybe a simplified version of that can be created.

> What community contribution(s) should we showcase?

I think this should be a simple demo of Compojure. I have one at
http://java.ociweb.com/mark/clojure/article.html#WebApps that you are
welcomed to use.

--
R. Mark Volkmann