Well, the ant demo does show java interoperability (the whole graphics
bit).

You could start with a world with the empty square, and a filled
square, start
with one type of ant that is just lugging the food from the filled to
the empty
square. This shows off agents.

Have four numbers being printed on the screen: food in square 1,
square 2, carried by ants, total.

Forbid the ants from entering the food area, the amount of food in
square 2 now stays constant,
and the food carried by the ants decreases.

Add a second type of ant (red ants), which can enter the food square,
and which
as behaviour can pass the food to a neighbouring black ant. This
requires refs, and
with the counters we can see the total amount of food staying
constant, and
you changing the program as it runs, calling java as you go :-).