On Jun 25, 9:39 am, Berlin Brown <berlin.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 9:31 am, Nathan Hawkins <uts...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:29:24 +0530
>
> > Baishampayan Ghose <b.gh...@ocricket.com> wrote:
>
> > > Their concerns are thus:
>
> > > 1. How do you get Clojure programmers? Lisp is not for the faint
> > > hearted.
>
> > You can always ask on this list. I'd guess that at any given point
> > in time there are probably several people who'd rather being
> > working with Clojure in their day job than whatever they're actually
> > doing now. (Me, for instance...)
>
> > > 2. What about the performance of Clojure? Is it fast?
>
> > It can be faster than a lot of other popular choices, like Ruby or
> > Python. I wish it compiled to native code instead of Java, but that's
> > mostly because I don't like Java.
>
> > > 3. People who want to use this are more academically inclined and are
> > > not practical. This will make the whole project fail.
>
> > Many innovative ideas in computer science tend to in academia
> > and only slowly make their way into more mainstream, practical
> > environments.
>
> > Consider garbage collection, or relational databases. Both very
> > "academic" at one time, and now they're everywhere.
>
> > Point being, really practical people use the best ideas they can,
> > regardless of where they came from.
>
> > Nathan
>
> This is how I think of clojure, but first I want you to do some
> experiments.  I assuming you come from a Java/J2EE background:
>
> 1. Get an image of SQL in your mind.
> 2. Now build an image of Javascript and what javascript is used for.
> 3. Now imagine JSPs or ASP, Server Pages.
> 4. Now imagine XML.
> 5. Imagine Bash scripting.
> 6. Imagine what Ruby or Python does for certain people.
> 7. Envision a J2EE or large application that takes advantage of many
> different technologies.
>
> So you have all of these images of different languages and
> technologies.  They are all different tools used to build an
> application for users.
>
> Clojure is a a language that runs on the JVM.  It is as simple or as
> complicated as you make it.  For me, I can treat it as a wrapper over
> my existing code or evolve and use complex functional programming
> techniques.
>
> This is my main point: One thing that Clojure is NOT.  It is not
> limited by the limitations of the Java programming language.
>
> Think about Clojure as another tool that you can use to write better
> code.

I think the hardest part is convincing yourself that you can use one
or more core languages for your project.  I guess we think we only
need C, or Java or C++ and that is it.  But we normally integrate with
other technologies like JSPs anyway.

I have been programming with some JVM language since the early Jython
days and I still find it a little hard to break away completely from
using Java language code.

I want to integrate a Java, Clojure, Scala app but I still haven't
included Scala into the process yet.