FWIW, two points- Paul Graham, among others, has talked about issues
like this. See for instance (about Python):

http://www.paulgraham.com/pypar.html

The argument about using new technologies in the startup context is
generally that smarter people want to work with better tools at higher
levels of abstraction. Those people are naturally harder to find, but
a way to attract them is to use tools that can give very skilled
people more leverage.

Relatedly, being concerned about supporting the technology with
commodity skills is something for the future owners of your startup to
care about, not you.

That said, delivery risk with new technologies is *always* a concern.
So the other point is- sometimes you can address concerns about
"risky" choices obliquely by raising *your own* concerns about those
choices, to redirect the conversation to areas that make sense to you.
This indicates that *you're* thinking about what they're thinking
about, and maybe you have a different take on what the risks are- but
that you're thinking about it means you're going to takes steps to
mitigate the risks and keep the channels of communication open.

My main concern about using Clojure wouldn't have to do with people or
performance or academic/business focus, it would just have to do with
maturity, not so much of the language, more at the level of
application patterns. To that end, were I starting a project, I'd look
for skilled Java people with some Lisp, and approach Clojure not as a
Lisp, but as a better Spring, and use the patterns from Spring to
minimize delivery risk. Focus mostly on creating performance sensitive
stateless components + interfaces in Java, using non-bean generic data
structures, and do the configuration wiring/lifecycle/dataflow stuff
in Clojure. More work, but safer ramp-up. Then I'd go deeper into
Lispifying a subsystem.

$0.02.